A laptop is great for work freedom, but it’s not so great on your back, is it? At the end of the day, if you find yourself stiff and feeling pain, you probably need a more ergonomic workstation. The laptop stand is your answer.
These stands, aka. notebook trays, come in a variety of styles and can help you keep up your work productivity without sacrificing your health. Let’s take a look at a few of our favorite types of stands to find your next work tool.
Types Of Laptop Stands
There are a few major players in laptop table styles. Each one has particular benefits for a specific type of work.
Laptop Desk Stand
A laptop desk stand helps you get the angle of your laptop just right so you avoid strain. We work at desks because they position our bodies better and reduce the amount of hunching we do. With a desktop computer, the screen is usually eye level, and the keyboard is the right height for our shoulders and wrists to relax.
Laptops aren’t very ergonomic. They’re better on a desk than, say, in your bed, but the screen is rarely at eye level. The keyboard is attached to the screen instead of located in a position that’s best for your body.
A laptop holder for desks helps you adjust the laptop to eye level and tilt the keyboard to a better location for your wrists. It makes it easier to add all your peripherals, such as a mouse, without crowding your space. It also helps keep the laptop cooler by increasing airflow around the base. This type of notebook stand can be an affordable alternative to an adjustable height standing desk.
Here are a few of our favorite laptop desk stands:
VARIDESK Laptop 30 Portable Stand Up Desk
This laptop tray by Varidesk is like a little desk for your workspace. It is height adjustable and meant to be picked up when you need a change of scenery. This desk has a spring loaded mechanism that raises and lowers the workspace to nine different height settings, plus a dual handle design that’s ready right out of the box. It increases your workspace to 30 inches wide and just under 11 inches deep, and it holds up to 15 pounds. All your peripherals fit on the space and then move with you in one smooth motion.
- Sized for laptops and smaller workspaces
- Work surface measures 30"(W) x 10.75"(D) (76.2cm(W) x 27.31cm(D))
- Holds up to 15 lbs.
- Compact, lightweight design
- No assembly; ready to use right out of the box
Amazon Basics Ventilated Notebook Stand
This stand is an excellent option if your laptop tends to run hot. It’s a ventilated mesh design that lifts your laptop away from the desk to increase airflow on all sides. It has an adjustable height so you can control the airflow and also find the right position to ease the strain on your body. It tilts at a range of 12 degrees to 35 degrees. There’s a cord organizer on the side to reign in the mess. Tilting your laptop also makes it easier to attach an external keyboard comfortably on your existing workstation.
- Ventilated laptop stand helps keep laptops running cooler to help reduce crashes
- Metal-mesh platform draws heat away from laptop
- Adjustable height for increased airflow and comfortable reading and typing; adjustable from 12 to 35 degrees
- Cord organizer with 6 slots promotes a tidier desktop
- Measures approximately 13 by 11 by 7.2 inches (LxWxH) at max height
Rain Design mStand
If you hate the thought of pairing your Apple laptop with a clunky stand, the mStand might be a good choice. It’s designed to fit Apple’s MacBooks with 10.5-inch or smaller measurements and is made of the same brushed metal as the laptop itself. It lifts and tilts the screen to give you room to attach an external keyboard and raise the screen to eye level. It has a cable outlet in the back, and a heat sink feature that helps direct heat away from the base of the laptop.
13 used from $25.48
- Raises notebook screen height to eye level for better ergonomics (5.9 inches).
- Single piece aluminum design provides solid stability and acts as a heat sink to cool laptop
- The back cable management hole is 2 inches in diameter. Cable organizer behind routes wires neatly
- Sand-blasted and silver anodized finish matches Apple notebooks. Keyboard stash clears up desk area when not in use
- Compatible with Apple Macbook Pro, Macbook Air and other laptops with depths less than 10.4 inches
Macally Aluminum Laptop Platform
This minimal aluminum stand by Macally adjusts to fit laptops anywhere from 10.5 inches to 17 inches. It has raised front ends and rubberized pads to keep your laptop secure despite the incline. It’s open to allowing maximum airflow and raises the laptop six inches to a comfortable eye level. There’s plenty of space underneath to store peripherals when you aren’t using them, so you always come back to a clutter-free workstation.
- STYLISH ALUMINUM DESIGN: Laptop stand will fit any laptop between 10"-17" wide & satin finish aluminum is designed to match and fit all Macbooks, Macbook Airs, Macbook Pros, Asus, Dell, etc.
- SECURE AND STURDY: Raised front edges hold the laptop in place & rubberized non-slip pads secure your laptop in place and prevent unwanted scratches to your laptop
- BETTER ERGONOMICS: Elevates your laptop by 6" to the perfect eye level and prevents you from hunching over your screen, preventing neck / shoulder strain
TriGear Premier 81 Adjustable Height Laptop Desk Stand
The Premier is a heavy duty stand with nine height and nine angle options. It transitions quickly from a sitting desk to a standing desk. It’s compatible with the most common laptop sizes from 10 to 17 inches. It supports up to 100 pounds and has a circulation cutout for heat regulation and to allow cords to fall through easily. It has two clips to keep things in place. It’s a heavy duty option for those who frequently change workstations.
- Package Includes Base: 16" x 12" / Mouse Pad: 8" x 7" / Paper Pad: 8.5" x 11" / Maximum height option: 17.5" / Minimum height option: 3.5"
- 81 ADJUSTMENT: Easy-to-install and adjust TriGear Laptop Stand has 9 height x 9 angle options. Includes Mouse Pad (for left and right-handed users) and Paper Pad. COMPATIBLE WITH: 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, and up to 17-inch long laptops; works with Sony, Samsung, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft PCnotebooks, chromebook, Apple Macbooks; HD monitors, LCD/LED/OLED flatscreen TVs, SmartTVs, touch screen tablets, drawing tablets; also works for reading books, music sheets, as a writing stand, etc.
Laptop Holder For Bed
Do you work in bed? You can admit it. Sometimes your work follows you home, and that’s where you end up. While working on the computer in bed can be murder on your muscles, a laptop stand for bed can help you mitigate that pain a little better than just your lap.
Avantree Adjustable Laptop Table
This multifunctional table works in a lot of places, but it really shines in the bed. It creates a level workspace, relaxing your shoulders and straightening your back naturally. It increases the height, so you aren’t hunched over anymore. Two auto lock buttons change height from 9.4 inches to 12.6 inches and two clamps to adjust the angle from zero to 30 degrees. It folds flat when not in use, and you can quickly pick the whole thing up to move work locations.
2 used from $35.99
- MULTIPURPOSE - It acts as a multifunctional laptop workstation, a standing desk for office work, a TV tray for snacking, a laptop bed stand for relaxing in bed or a book/tablet stand.
- HEALTHIER WORKING - When used in conjunction with a regular desk it enables you to work while standing; freeing yourself from disorders such as backache, and spondylitis caused by long hours sitting in the workplace.
- EASY TO USE - Two auto-lock buttons on each side easily enable quick changes in height (adjustable from 9.4"-12.6") in addition two clamps may be used to adjust the surface angle (from 0-30°).
NNEWVANTE Large Size Laptop Tray
This bamboo tray drastically increases the length of your workstation as it raises your laptop to an ergonomic height. There are indentions for your phone, pens, and other peripherals. You can adjust the tilt easily, and a small barrier keeps your laptop in place. This one is a traditional tray and suitable if you work long hours in bed or have a lot of accessories to carry with you. Plus, bamboo is naturally cooling, and there are small holes underneath for circulation. It also works great as a laptop desk for the couch.
- Multi-functional LARGE Laptop Tray- Surf the Internet, Game playing, food Serving, coloring, reading etc. On bed, sofa, recliner or floor.
- Triple heat dissipation - bamboo cooling, holes cooling, and 2 USB Fan. Bamboo adopt AAAAA level material plus delicate processing. Present a gift, we'd better give the best quality one, even at package.
- Adjustable heights: Adjustable tilt and legs for better viewing experience, 4 slots available.
HomeLike Portable Laptop Table
HomeLike’s tray is a rounded, ergonomic tray that lifts your laptop and neatly fits up against your body. It’s foldable for storage and made of durable powder-coated metal. It’s light enough to carry from the bed to the counter if you need to move, and the flat surface may also be used as a TV tray, laptop table for the couch or other work/creative station.
- Durability Laptop Table: Made from strong powder-coated metal tube and high quality 12mm MDF board .It is eco-friendlly,simple and fashion design.Easy to clean.Overall Dimensions:23.62"Wx15.74"Dx9.64"H.
- Foldable Bed Tray Table:No need to install, easily fold flat for convenient storage when you don't need it.
- Versatility Table:It acts as a multifunctional table in daylife .A homework assistant table for flexible seating class,a standing desk for office work, a TV tray for snacking, a laptop bed tray for relaxing in bed, or a book reading holder for kids,a breakfast tray to enjoy morning time in bed,a camping table for outdoor activities,a picnic table for family gathering.It can be used on bed, sofa, couch, office , indoor or outdoor.
iMountTek Portable Laptop Elevator
This is a fully loaded stand. It has a built-in cooling fan, a triple LED light, and two independently adjustable trays for different types of equipment. You can adjust the angle and the leg height. It even has a four-port USB hub, and it’s powered with either battery or through USB (cable included in the package). When you lift the trays, there are storage compartments underneath. If you require a lot of power, or your workstation is exclusively in your bedroom, this multifunctional stand gives you a lot of different work options.
1 used from $27.99
- COOLING FAN - This laptop table comes with a built-in cooling fan to prevent overheating and extend the use of your electronic device.
- DESK LIGHT - With a triple LED desk lamp at your disposal, books, screens, and the paper are easily legible given the focused lighting.
- ADJUSTABLE STAND - Using the adjustable stand, there are a multitude of viewing angles; what's more, the leg height can also be modified to provide stable support based on position or user.
Height Adjustable Laptop Stand
A height adjustable laptop platform is often used as independent standing workstations. They can be a lifesaver if you spend a lot of your day sedentary. We know that a sedentary lifestyle contributes to a host of health issues and just standing up for a portion of the day can mitigate those effects tremendously.
These stands move quickly from a sitting position height to a standing height. Many can be moved over the bed if you frequently work there. Their main attraction is that you can change positions regularly throughout the day with one smooth motion and without disturbing your workspace.
Seville Classics Airlift Pneumatic Laptop Computer Mobile Desk Cart
An airlift desk cart is easily adjustable to fit a variety of sitting or standing heights. You can quickly raise or lower the hight from just under 30 inches to just over 41 inches with one smooth motion. It has four rolling casters for easy transportation and fits most common laptop sizes. It has a rectangular base for less wobble. It’s great if you need a portable station from time to time, but don’t want to be locked into one location.
2 used from $39.09
- MODERN AND WATER RESISTANT: dark walnut wood finish, easily complements almost any modern decor and design schemes; the base has a waterproof coating finish that protects it from water and rust
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE: easily adjust the height of this table from 23.6 to 35.4 inches, 360° swivel and 180° tilting of the splitting tabletop, offering a more comfortble working experience
- VERSATILE USE: featuring a compact and flexible design; ideal for working with your laptop or tablets beside beds or sofas, or as a movable workstation when giving a presentation at the office
Tatkraft Like Portable Adjustable Laptop Stand
The Tatkraft is a little more elaborate. It has two different surfaces, one for the laptop and one for a mouse or other peripheral. The laptop surface tilts for a more ergonomic fit, but the mouse surface stays flat near your hand. It’s height adjustable from 27 inches to 39 inches, and the incline moves from zero to 30 degrees. The tray even rotates 360 degrees. It rolls on four stable castors.
- Suitable for 7-17" laptops. Separate Large Mouse Board 8"-10" (21X25cm)
- Modern elegant design laptop cart. Tilted table top option for comfortable typing or writing
- Adjustable height 27"-39" (70 to 100cm) and inclination angle (0-30°) for your convenience. Tilting, swivel top with slide stopper, 15,5"-17,5" (40X45cm). Laptop Tray can tilt 30° and rotate 360
- Laptop rolling stand that is easily moved around by 4 casters
Langria Laptop Rolling Cart Table
The Langria also has two surfaces so you can adjust your equipment independently. The height adjusts from 23.6 inches to 35.4 inches with a 180-degree tilt and a 360-degree swivel. The independent surfaces keep your laptop tilted without causing your mouse to slide. It has four lockable castors for transportation and moves from sitting to standing or working as a laptop stand for beds because of the side base and legs. It’s made of durable waterproof and rustproof materials.
- Pneumatic Height Adjustment: Lift or lower the desk from 29.3 to 41.7 inches high manually with a locking knob
- Large Size Top: Measures 24.4 inches wide by 16.9 inches deep; will fit nearly any size laptop
- Rolling Mobile Workstation: Four 2.4-inch casters (2 locking) allow your desk to go where you go
- Stable Base: Rectangular steel base reduces wobble for superior stability
- Easy assembly with no drilling required
Foldable And Portable Laptop Stands
Moving workstations can be a hassle if your laptop stand is clunky. If you travel, you may want to invest in a small laptop stand that moves with you wherever you go. Many of the models are ultra lightweight and can fit into your gear bag.
Executive Office Solutions Portable Laptop Table
This model is a vented, ultra-light stand with foldable legs. You can adjust the height to a variety of settings and rotate the base 360 degrees. It weighs just over two pounds and works with laptops up to 15 inches. When you need to move, it folds down entirely with one smooth motion and fits into your bag.
- LIGHT WEIGHT, HIGH STRENGTH ALUMINUM TRAY, STURDY LEGS - Makes Carrying Easy and Holds Your Computer Firm and Steady.
- OUR SMALLEST AND LIGHTEST STAND AVAILABLE - Recommended For Laptops up to 15 Inches, This Stand Is Small Enough To Take With You To Work, School, Coffee Shops, or Where Ever You Need It!
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE LEGS - Rotate 360 Degrees and Lock in Place at Various Angles. Quickly Collapse The Stand to Make it Portable.
Executive Office Solutions Portable Laptop Desk with Mouse Pad
This slightly bigger version is just like the one above but is suitable for slightly bigger laptops. It features all the same capabilities such as 360-degree rotation, tilting, and adjustable heights. It folds flat for secure storage and weighs just over three pounds. If the one above doesn’t fit your laptop, this is a good alternative for the same portability.
3 used from $29.99
- LIGHT WEIGHT ALUMINUM TRAY - Makes Carrying Easy and Holds Your Computer at Virtually Any Position or Angle
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE LEGS - Rotate 360 Degrees and Lock in Place at Various Angles. Quickly Collapse The Stand to Make it Portable.
- MULTIPLE USES - Table Can Also Be Used For a TV Dinner Tray, Sound Equipment, Projector, Standing Desk, Book Tray, Writing Desk, and Tablet Holder. Includes Non-Slip Feet For Use On Tabletops and Desktops.
Next and Laptop Holder
This slim profile stand folds up a lot like a projector or umbrella. It holds laptops 11.6 inches or larger and has seven adjustable height options from 5.5 inches to 12.6 inches. It’s made of industrial grade nylon with metal fittings. It can hold up to 20 pounds but weighs just eight pounds. It’s one of the smallest footprints with one of the most substantial capabilities on the portable notebook stands list.
1 used from $18.22
- FITS ALMOST ALL MAKES AND MODELS - Universal fit for almost all laptops 11.6 inches or larger with a front-edge less than 1 inch thick and keyboard width greater than 11 inches.
- HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE WITH 7 SETTINGS - Adjustable laptop stand offering from 5.5 inches to 12.6 inches of lift, with height adjustment letting you raise screen height to eye level for comfort and protection from injury. Helps improve posture over long hours of working at your computer.
Pyle Portable Folding Stand
Pyle’s universal folding stand has a secondary tray for peripherals such as a mouse. It’s easy to slide in when you need it. It weighs just over three pounds. It folds flat and comes with a carry bag. It’s best for basic eye level adjustments on a desk or other flat surface, which means it’s best for quick workstation set up. It holds most laptop sizes as well as other types of devices.
- UNIVERSAL LAPTOP TRAY: This is a reliable laptop stand with a universal tray that holds most devices. It can be used with iPad or tablet, laptops, DJ mixer, turntables, and more. Perfect for home, gaming, school or business use
- ANTI-SLIP FOLDABLE DESIGN: Made with anti-slip legs and no loose parts to avoid accidental slides or falls. The ergonomic standing design has a foldable dimension of 10.2 x 9.8 x 1.2 inch and 10.2 x 9.8 x 13.7 inch unfolded dimension
Griffin Elevator Stand
If you don’t need anything fancy, the Griffin stand is a three-piece stand that’s open on the bottom for maximum airflow. It’s best in situations where you might be in a temporary workspace and need to elevate your laptop for few hours. It fits most laptop sizes and has a slight ergonomic incline. It lifts your laptop about five and a half inches, which should be roughly eye level for average heights.
- Elevates laptop screen 5.5" while providing valuable desktop real estate for your keyboard and mouse
- Keeps laptop cool with 360 degrees of air circulation
- Fits all laptops, Mac and PC
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
Benefits of Using a Laptop Stand
There’s a reason your body hurts after working in bed versus your desk. Laptops tend to cause hunching as your back and shoulders naturally slouch down to make the screen eye level. Do this for extended periods of time, and you’re in danger of causing permanent damage.
Reduce “Lap” Strain
Abnormal viewing angles cause strain and weaken your core. You’re also more likely to develop issues with your wrists because your typing position is out of alignment. If you work with your laptop in your lap, you can also damage or irritate the skin because of excess heat, and some studies even suggest that your body absorbs trace amounts of radiation. A stand keeps the laptop away from your body.
Laptops are a particular nightmare for your posture because the logical location of the screen and keyboard aren’t possible. For the best results, the screen should be eye level, and the keyboard should allow your forearms to fall parallel to the floor.
At a desk, your laptop keyboard is in a good position, but the screen draws your eyes downward. Your body unconsciously follows your eye position, and before you know it, you’ve got a hunch back. Raising the screen pulls your arms up and encourages your shoulders to tense up to keep your position. This position isn’t ideal either.
An ergonomic laptop stand gives you space to add an external keyboard and mouse so you can get your body back into a position that doesn’t cause strain on your back or your shoulders.
Avoid a Sedentary Lifestyle
We also know that staying in one position too long has dire long-term consequences. Some stands encourage you to change positions frequently. Even standing for an hour a day can alleviate the health problems a severely sedentary lifestyle causes. Many of us have office jobs and can’t go for long walks during the middle of the workday, but we can make it easier to get up from our desks without losing our productivity.
Increase Air Circulation
Many laptops have a heat problem. The base sits flush against a surface, and sometimes the fans can’t keep up. Lifting a laptop off a flat surface and onto a surface that encourages 360-degree air circulation can seriously improve your laptop’s performance and help you avoid the dreaded blue (or black) screen of death.
Your laptop is made for portability, not for body ergonomics. Do something about it with a convenient stand, and you should see improvements in those aches and pains you feel at the end of your workday. Your body and your health will thank you. This is a great alternative to more expensive standing desk converters and full-sized stand up desks.
Where do spend most of your workday? Let us know in the comments below.
Last Updated on