Over the past years, standing desk has been gaining in popularity as an alternative way of working in the office. The average workday for Americans are eight hours, and most this time, for white-collar office workers are spent sitting down. Despite the gain in popularity, there are lots of standing desk accessories on the market to greatly enhance the stand-up work experience.
Anti-Fatigue Mats are a very good accessory to make the desk standing experience more enjoyable and healthy. When standing for prolonged periods of time, fatigue can set in making it much harder to reap the benefits of standing more.
Spending many hours in a standing position causes your muscle to become more restricted. This restriction in the muscles requires your heart to work harder to circulate blood, often resulting in discomfort fatigue and sometimes pain. The pain sometimes experienced as a result of blood pooling in the legs. Anti-Fatigue Mats are designed to encourage slight movements in the legs, and calf muscle areas.
The ergonomic design of anti-Fatigue mats encourages movement, which causes the muscles in the legs to contract and expand, to adjust to the surface of the mat. These extra movements cause more blood flow back up to the heart, increases blood flow to the legs and feet while reducing overall fatigue because the heart doesn’t have to work as hard.
1 used from $92.07
- Every standing desk needs a good mat. Topo is the best - a great mat with next-generation features.
- With Topo, you'll sit less and stand comfortably because it inspires active and varied stances.
- Cushioned terrain drives subconscious movement - unlike distracting treadmills & balance boards.
- Switch between sitting and standing? Topo is engineered to be easily positioned with just one foot.
- Get the true benefit of standing! Feel energized & productive. More movement means a healthier you. All that, plus a 7-year warranty!
Monitor’s arms are another accessory that can greatly enhance your standing desk experience. Monitor arms typical come in single, dual, tri, and quad options. Typical single or dual arms are utilized for a single person’s standing desk. Monitor’s arms give you the freedom to adjust your monitor screen in a variety of positions. In traditional desk, monitor screens are often to close and generally not in ergonomically optimal position.
The sitting coupled with the poor screen position leads to increase the risk of MSD (musculoskeletal disorders). Monitor’s arms allow you to attach LCD flat screens and adjust the tilt, height, and angle to fit the comfort level you may be experiencing that day. Besides the obvious hardware related physical benefits of monitor arms, they allow you to change the landscape and position of the screen and switch from one to two monitor views.
The arms also allow you to have a nice size screen without taking up additional space on your desk.
1 used from $273.00
- VESA standard compatible
- Fully articulating Monitor Rotates 360 Degrees
- Monitor Arm Supports up to 19.8 lbs
- Arm Height Adjustment Range: 12"
- Max Arm Extension: 29"
Adjustable stools allow you to have more options to meet your comfort needs. The whole idea behind the health benefits of having a standing desk is to promote more mobility during the while working. They allow you to adjust the height of the stool throughout the day by lowering or raising the height.
The mobility and flexibility of they give can greatly improve your overall health. Typically standing burns more calories, but they still yield most of the health benefits of using a standing desk.
- Dynamic range of movement both sitting and standing
- Low profile back to promote good posture
- Air-lift piston mechanism raises the seat up to 32.75" (83.19 cm)
- Comes fully assembled
- Minimal footprint
Active Learning Stools
With the popularity of standing desk increasing, so has the variety of active learning stools. The active learning stools are typically more dynamic in ergonomic design than adjustable stools. The active learning stools promote the use of more of the leg muscles, which helps the respiratory system, air, and blood flow to the brain and heart.
Some of the active learning stool is designed with an uneven base. The uneven base on them promotes movement in all directions will sitting.
The active learning stools strongly encourage the ability to easily switch from sitting to standing throughout the workday.
2 used from $106.40
- Easy-to-use pneumatic gas lift adjusts the seat height from 18 1/2 to 28 inches.
- The non-slip, curved base features a wide range of motion.
- Backless design encourages proper posture while strengthening core muscles.
- The 12 5/8"-wide seat is constructed from easy-to-clean vinyl-covered foam.
- Lightweight design for easy mobility and storage.
Mini Elliptical Trainer
Mini Elliptical Trainers are portable aerobic and an alternative to treadmill standing desk. These machines are a great way to increase the blood flow back to the heart, improving blood pressure and overall health. Like the anti-fatigue mats, active learning stools, and adjustable stools, the intent behind using the mini elliptical trainer is to promote more movement during the workday.
As an accessory to the standing desk, it allows the freedom to get some good fat burning during the workday. Some of these machines have displays to track the calories burned, distance and time. They also allow the user to adjust the amount of tension or resistance to intensify or maximize the calorie burning during usage. Typically using mini elliptical trainers can burn as much as 300 calories each hour while sitting.
It is important to understand that you need to find out what the pedal rotation is. The pedal rotation height is the height at which your legs raised when using the mini trainer. If you are typically a tall person, the pedal rotation height is something you should consider before deciding to invest in one.
3 used from $116.10
- Lowest pedal height available; Only 10 Inches; Can work with desks as low as 27 Inches; See description for details,Pedal arm Length:3 1/2 inches
- More than twice the resistance range of the other pedal exercisers; 8 calibrated resistance settings; from very easy to more than you need
- Magnetic resistance provides smooth, quiet pedal motion; let's you focus on your work and your co-workers focus on theirs
Standing Desk Treadmill
The treadmill as an accessory for the standing desk is really a high- calorie burning option to consider. The standing treadmill is just what its name suggests. The design is to allow you work will using a treadmill. As discussed, moving more during the work week is optimal to promote good health.
A recent scientific study revealed the utilization of a treadmill for only 2 – 3 hours resulted in about 100 calories burned, which is about 44 – 66 pounds each year. When incorporating a treadmill as part of your standing desks experience, it is recommended not to start out trying to run the first few times you use it. Instead, it is recommended you have long but slow walk, averaging about 1 mile per hour.
The treadmill standing desk is one of the most effective ways to reap the benefits of using a standing desk. The standing treadmill is a great way to get some cardio in during your workday. When using the treadmill it is best not use it in dress shoes or high heels, but good running shoes to avoid possible injury.
- The tr1200-dt5 treadmill desk workstation is a combination of LifeSpan's under desk treadmill base and manual height adjustable standing desk.
- The compact and motorized running machine measures 68.5" x 28.5" (L x W) with a large desktop surface area of 38" x 29" (W x D), providing an ergonomic boost to computer and laptop work.
- High capacity and quiet 2.25 HP electric motor with a 20-by-50-inch walking surface. Portable wheels for lightweight mobility providing space saving and storable versatility.
Power Strip/Hub Systems
Power strips/hub systems are in my opinion a necessity regarding standing desk. Most power hub systems come equipped with a clamp or mounting node to attach to the standing desk. While some hubs are designed to be installed under the desk. These hub systems eliminate the need to pull power cords to your standing desk and have many unsightly cords running to your standing desk.
The hubs have taken all the different power cords and grouped them together turning multiple cords into one. Many of these power hubs come with an integrated option allowing them to seamlessly blend with the desk.
Many of the power strip hub systems include USB ports, power outlets VGA ports, HDMI ports, Cat 5, Cat 5e, 63 and RJ45 jacks, many of these hubs also have wireless phone charging capabilities as well.
- Easily clamps to desk
- 3 AC outlets and 2 USB ports (1.5 Amp)
- 12' (365.5 cm) power cord
- Includes a surge protector to safeguard your devices
- No tools required
Working from a standing desk for eight-plus hours daily can put lots of pressure on your feet, legs and other lower body joints. Adjustable Footrests can potentially be a great accessory for a standing desk. The footrest can be quite effective at alleviating pressure off your feet. They are ergonomically designed to make your desk standing experience more comforting and effective overall. They can be stationary or dynamic. The dynamic or non-stationary footrests can greatly enhance the blood circulation and fight fatigue.
Having a natural rocking motion, these footrests allow for more movement, which can be quite effective to fight fatigue. The footrest can also act as a nice feature for shorter workers by allowing them to sit a little higher and be able to truly reap the benefits of a good ergonomic standing desk.
Adjustable footrest really gives you an added bit of comfort and satisfaction. Many footrests have various angles to fit the different needs and heights of people.
2 used from $40.52
- Foot rest with luxurious memory foam soothes tired legs and feet.
- Convenient foot pedal control lets you adjust the foot rest without leaving your chair.
- Height adjusts from 3.5 to 5 Inches, angle adjusts up to 30 degrees for individual comfort.
- Set up the product quickly and easily by using the SmartFit System and your own personal comfort color.
- Non-skid foot surface provides added control. F & B- 6
LED Desk Lamp
LED lamps can greatly enhance the effectiveness and comfort level when using a standing desk. Most of these lamps come equipped with a clamp to give more flexibility and options on the installation placement installation location on the desk. Some LED desk lamps come with adjustable light levels, which gives you the option to adjust the lighting according to the lighting needs.
LED lights typically don’t flicker like traditional light bulbs, and the light emitted is much soft and easier in the eyes. They are also typically more energy efficient. Since they are more efficient they an office favorite that saves hundreds annually compared to traditional desk light bulbs.
1 used from $53.25
- Protect Eyes - Close to daylight illumination, diffusion panel emitting soft light without ghost, glare or flicker.
- Stepless Dimming - Memory of brightness, free to adjust and easy to keep personal setting.
- Highly Adjustable - 180°swivel lamp head,16.3+16.3 inches adjustable metal arm, rotatable body. Strong clamp supports up to 2.36 inches tabletop.
- Longevity & Energy Saving - 50000 hours lifespan, no bulb changing troubles in the next 25 years. 20% energy consumption as a incandescent bulb does.
Ergonomic chairs are designed to decrease injuries and reduce health-related ailments. Sitting obviously does require less physical effort than standing. While sitting is not as demanding it still puts lots of pressure on the lumbosacral area of the spine.
Ergonomic chairs have the ability to be adjusted to fit the needs and customized to meet the unique comfort levels desired. Many ergonomically designed chairs give you the capability to not only adjust the arms of the chair, the height, but also the angle at which you are positioned. These added customizable capabilities is a large reason these chairs are so effective.
Ergonomically optimally designed chairs usually are manufactured with much more cushioning. This added cushioning is to focus on the comfort associated with the lower back and buttock areas. Many of the chairs have a larger than “normal” seating area. Having a larger than normal seating area allows for different positions and movement that is available with traditional chairs. These chairs are also made with extra cushioning on the edge of the seating area.
The extra cushioning at the edge, behind the knees giving them added support and comfort. In the long run, an ergonomic chair will have a great return on the initial investment, by drastically increasing your overall productivity and the sheer durability of the chair.
7 used from $64.67
- Breathable mesh seat with one-touch pneumatic seat height adjustment
- Adjustable synchro tilt allows you to tilt at a 2:1 ratio for better circulation and weight distribution
- Lumbar cushioning supports your lower back and enhances the natural curve of your spine.
- Padded flip arms with heavy duty silver accents and dual wheel carpet casters
- GREENGUARD® certified for better indoor quality. Manufactured with reduced harsh chemicals and with processes that are 'low VOC' (low in volatile organic compounds).
Adjustable Keyboard Platforms
Adjustable keyboard platforms are a great way to add the last finishing touches on a truly optimal ergonomically designed workplace or home office standing desk. The keyboard platforms are adjustable, so you can modify it to your current comfortable height and positioning.
Adjustable keyboard platforms come equipped with an area for the mouse. The padded mouse area often has memory foam that can react to body heat and pressure to create an optimal level of comfort. Many of the adjustable platforms can be mounted on the bottom of the standing desk or attached directly on the top.
Overall they provide wrist support, which can reduce the chance of getting carpal tunnel. They allow you to tilt the keyboard in a negative position. The negative positioning is actually a more natural position for our wrist.
17 used from $38.89
- COMPLETELY ADJUSTABLE ERGONOMIC UNDER-DESK KEYBOARD TRAY: Raise, Swivel, Tilt, Slide keyboards to the perfect position for you. Adjustable height & angle under desk keyboard holder w/ negative tilt
- Keyboard panel dimensions: 18.5(w) x 8.75(d)inches,Mouse pad dimensions: 7 (w) x 8.7 (d) inches.ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT UNDER DESK KEYBOARD TRAY: a single adjustable-tension, locking lever elevates keyboards to any height from 4.5" below to desk-height. Easy height-adjustable ergonomic keyboard holder
The standing desk has been proving to drastically improve the workplace environment and experience for the users who spend lots of time in front a computer screen. By supporting more mobility during the workday, which results in more calories burned, standing desk will only continue to gain in popularity. By including all or some the mentioned accessories to enhance the standing desk experience can prove to be beneficial and drastically reduce the cost of health-related office ailments scientifically linked to prolong sitting.
Last Updated on